Landmark n°1. Parroquia San Francisco de El Monte (San Francisco de El Monte Parish)
We start the tour on the former Convent of San Francisco, founded in 1732 (XVIII century) and declared national monument in 1974 (XX century). The parish convent has an impressive colonial architecture, thick adobe walls, with a single narrow and deep shed. The main altar was commissioned and brought to Chile by order of Don Pedro de Valdivia.
Then we visit the “Patio de los Naranjos” (Orange Trees Yard), place that was once used by monks for meditation and reading.
Beside the parish we can find the “Chapel of Men”, which for years was used as the convent cemetery.
In 2014 and after a long investigation, the skull of the hero of the Fatherland José Miguel Carrera was recovered and it has rested in this parish ever since.
Underneath the church, there is a tunnel that connects with the old farm of the Carrera Brothers that was used at the time of Independence to fight for the patriot cause.
Address: Plaza Independencia 31
Important: Until the date of the publishing of this guide and due to recent earthquakes, the place is closed for repairs. We therefore recommend interested tourists to call before a visit to the number +56-2-2818-2517 to check the availability.
Groups of less than 10 people: $2,000 per person
Groups of 10: $ 1,000 per person
*The money charged in the tour goes directly to the social work of the Parish *
Hours: Tuesdays through Fridays, 9:30 am to 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm / Mondays closed / Saturdays and Sundays: Occasionally open.
Services: No access for people with reduced mobility, no adapted toilets.