Landmark n°10. Palacio de los Tribunales de Justicia (Justice Court Palace)
The neoclassical building with strong French influence was built between 1905 and 1930 in two stages. The building was ordered by the government of former President Francisco Errázuriz Zañartu. One of the main features of the building is the incorporation of a plinth that allowed the leveling of the entire width of the building, correcting the slight tilt of the floor of downtown Santiago. Inside we can find a magnificent three-story high hall that crosses the entire length of the building. It is covered by a striking metal frame and glass dome, which also features three large stained glass panels brought from Germany that depict an allegory about “Chilean Justice”.
In 2003, a library open to the public was inaugurated with archives of the Supreme Court. Currently, this is the place where all the highest judicial bodies function: The Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals of Santiago and the Martial Court.
The building was declared a National Monument in 1976 to maintain the conservation of the property.
The Palace grounds used to house the building of the Court of Consulates, the place where the meeting of independentist revolutionaries was held in September 18, 1810. This was the meeting that established the First National Governing Board, chaired by Mateo de Toro y Zambrano.
Address: Compañía 1140
Hours: Mondays through Fridays, 9:00 am to 2.00 pm
Free Access to the Central Hall with previous identification.
Services: Access for people with reduced mobility and adapted toilets.