Landmark n°16. Oficina de Correos de Santiago (Santiago Headquarters Post Office)
It was declared a National Monument in 1976.
This Renaissance style building built by the mayor of Santiago, Don Rodrigo Antonio Matías Quint Valdovinos, was inaugurated in 1715. It has a rectangular plan and is covered by a glass ceiling. It worked as the Palace of Presidents of Chile during the government of Manuel Bulnes, from 1820 to 1846.
In 1881, after a fire damaged the building, architect Ricardo Brown oversaw the construction of the current building, which later was established as the Post Office.
The building serves as the headquarters and customer service sections of “Correos de Chile” (Chilean Post Office). One of the last restorations took place in 1993, renewing the painting of the façades and interior courtyards and the interior lighting and the ceilings were changed to acrylics.
Inside we can find the Postal and Telegraph Museum which opened in 1949, but since 2004 it is located on the ground floor of the building. It has 5 showrooms: “Sala Pedro de Valdivia” (Pedro de Valdivia Room) – recreation of a main post office in 1910- , “Sala Postal” (Postal Room” – other elements that illustrate the role of the post office, “Sala Filatélica” (Philatelic Room) – collection of national and international stamps, “Sala Telegráfica” (Telegraph Room) – history of the telegraph and “Galería Sala Filatélica” (Philatelic Room Gallery) – teaching and lighting hall exhibiting of Chilean stamps grouped by topic.
This area used to be the location of the house of Pedro de Valdivia, which according to some historians is connected by tunnels that he used to visit one of his mistresses, Inés de Suárez.
Address: Catedral 989
Museum Hours : Mondays through Fridays, 9:00 am to 6:30 pm
Guided tours throughout the day by approaching the information desk inside the museum.
Big groups: Mondays through Fridays, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. For reservations, contact email@example.com
Services: Access for people with reduced mobility and adapted toilets.