Landmark n°18. Palacio Consistorial, Municipalidad de Santiago (Palace Hall, Municipality of Santiago)
The beautiful neoclassical façade with its arches and balcony was used since the founding of Santiago as a town hall (cabildo) and public prison, although the latter was moved in 1878 due to the poor condition of the property. Between 1881 and 1883 the building was remodeled to host municipal offices. Because of the constitution of 1823, the name changed from town halls to municipalities instead.
The present building was built between 1785 and 1790, by Melchor Jaraquemada.
On the frontal side of the building stands the coat of arms of the city, given by King Carlos V of Spain in 1552, as a sign of consolidation. There are two levels inside, on the first floor a central hall and on the second the Hall of Honor and the offices of the municipal authorities.
Since 1895, the building has acted as headquarters of the Municipality of Santiago.
The Palace Hall of the Municipality of Santiago was declared National Monument in 1976.
The current location of the Tourism offices of “Plaza de Armas” used to be the dungeons of the public jail until the XVIII century.
Address: North side of Plaza de Armas on the corner of 21 de Mayo street
Hours: Mondays through Fridays, 9:00 am to 13:30 am
For guided tours for groups, make a reservation: Carmen Gloria Pizarro, mail: email@example.com)
Plaza de Armas Office
Hours: Mondays through Fridays, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm / Saturdays and Sundays, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Closed for Independence Holliday, Christmas and New Year
Contact: +56-2-2713-6745 and +56-2-2713-6746
Services: Access for people with reduced mobility and adapted toilets.