Landmark n°2. Universidad de Chile (University of Chile)
The University of Chile is one of the most characteristic buildings in Downtown Santiago, due to its great contribution to the spiritual and material development of the country.
Although the University of Chile was founded in 1842, the construction of this French neoclassical architecture inspired two-story building, began in 1863 and concluded in 1872. It has a large lobby and a hall of honor surrounded by Doric columns where the mural of Mario Toral Muñoz stands out.
The construction of the building is considered one of the most significant events of the independent republic, as it stood to public education as a linchpin of the country. From the outset, it was defined as an advocate of classical, humanist and secular culture.
The space where the building of the Main House is located had several uses until the first half of the XIX century. It used the space where the San Diego de Alcalá School used to be located. It was also José Miguel Carrera’s headquarters, a foster home and a women and children’s prison.
It now houses the central administration offices of the University of Chile.
The main house was declared a historical monument in 1974.
In the west courtyard, we can find the monument to Andrés Bello, founder of the first university in Chile. The construction was done in Carrara marble by Chilean sculptor Nicanor Plaza. The monument was inaugurated in 1881.
Address: Av. Libertador Bernardo 1058
Admission: doors are open to visitors, who only need to identify themselves at the main entrance.
Services: Access for people with reduced mobility and adapted toilets.