Landmark n°4. Estación Mapocho (Mapocho Station)
Inaugurated in 1912 and built in honor of the centenary of the Republic, today it is a patrimonial site with the purpose to spread the culture of the country. Its design – characterized by the mixing of masonry with an imposing vault made of iron wrought in France and Belgium – belongs to Chilean-French architect Emilio Jequers. The main goal of this construction was to connect the capital with other major cities such as Valparaiso and Iquique by train. It was even connected to the now inoperative “Andean train” that was meant to pass through Mendoza and reach Buenos Aires in Argentina. In the 80s Chile witnessed the decline of the railway system and in 1987 the history of the Mapocho Station came to an end. However, in 1991 it became the first Cultural Centre of Santiago post dictatorship.
The station roof was wooden and was replaced by copper plates to give greater national identity to the building. It had to receive special treatment to withstand corrosion and smog.
Address: Av. Balmaceda on Plaza de la Cultura
Admission and Hours
Free admission from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, unless an exhibition is taking place.
Halls with exhibits open Tuesdays through Sundays from 11:00 am to 8: 00 pm.
Access for people with reduced mobility, adapted toilets.
Paid parking for vehicles and bikes.